Monday, June 23, 2008

Albert Cossery

Today I found out that there was a very famous Egyptian writer called Albert Cossery who lived in Paris for the most of his life. Today I found about him  after his death.clip_image002[14]
Today I found out that the late Egyptian Writer who befriended France's famous writers and thinkers like Jean Paul Sartre
Today I found that his fans around the Globe called him "Voltaire of the Nile"
I feel so ignorant because I did not know or read for him before ,already I know Andree Shadid but I do not know how I missed Cossery.
May be it is not my mistake because his novels that were translated rarely in to Arabic , despite they were translated to other 15 languages and had a success , for example last year the New York Magazine called his novel "Infamy" or “Les Couleurs de l’ infamie”one of the world's best novels clip_image002[10]not yet published in English ,"Infamy" was his last novel published in 1999 and it was turned in a comic book , a successful one too.
What makes me too sad is despite most of Cossery life was in France "over 60 years , he left Egypt in 1945 and he was 94 years old when he passed away" , he did not leave Egypt totally , Egypt and Egyptians were the center of his work till the end,"Infamy was about Egypt and Egyptians"
In fact I do not know how can a person live almost all his life abroad write about the slums and vagabonds in Cairo , generally speaking may be the slums and vagabonds were not only memories but also they were a reflection for the slums and vagabonds in France.
Cossery seems to be very interesting strange personality , he loved laziness , he lived in the same modest street corner "Louisiana" hotel on Rue de Seine at the left Bank of Paris iclip_image002[6]n the same room for 60 years !!?? Imagine 60 years in the same room,his little Egypt !!

I live in my room as if I live in Egypt

He did not have car . In 1998 he suffered a lung cancer that made him unable to speak , he used to speak with the Journalists through writing in notes.
He married for a short time from a French actress , his life was a mix of laziness and writing.
I think that he believed in anarchism which I do not like.
I did not read anything till now for him but I am trying to find any novel in English , God knows I prefer Science fiction and crime detectives over these social black comedies but what I read today about him made me interested.
Even the only Egyptian adaption for his work in Cinema "Proud Beggars" by Asama Bakery , I did not see it , already Bakery is from Chahin's school that I am not fond of .
My question now why I never heard about him before , Why there was no coverage, Why everyone ignored him despite culturally we are so close to France. I know those who know French surely know him but what about those who do not speak French. He was not the first one to speak about the vagabonds and slums of Cairo , already there are many Egyptians who crossed that line and spoke about vagabonds and slums . There was not no praise or criticism about him in any newspaper. I mean ignoring him is not the answer.

clip_image002[12]

By the way the late author was born in Damietta and I think he was a Jew “I found it in some website”

Here is a extract from his novel comic “Infamy

And from Amazon :




Amazon.com: Les Couleurs de l'infamie, tome 1

ISBN: 2205054198
ISBN-13: 9782205054194





Amazon.com: Les Couleurs de l'infamie

ISBN: 2844120709
ISBN-13: 9782844120700


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comment
Please keep it civilized here, racist and hateful comments are not accepted
The Comments in this blog with exclusion of the blog's owner does not represent the views of the blog's owner.